I did not watch tonight’s game. Of course, the Jays won.
Of course, this also happened:
(GIF via Paul Sporer)
As of this writing, nobody knows exactly how long Reyes will be out, but here’s what we do know, via the numerous beat reporters (let’s give credit today to non-Rogers man Scott MacArthur) and just some plain basic facts:
- Reyes heard something “pop”
- Best case scenario, Reyes is out for a month. Worst case, three months.
- General manager Alex Anthopoulos has already been talking with other GMs about trading for some infield help
- Reyes is the best. Him getting hurt is the worst.
- Mike McCoy is likely to get called up and see too much playing time.
- Brett Lawrie can’t come back fast enough.
- Reyes, usually an outstanding baserunner, slid late because he thought the pitch had been fouled off
I know I haven’t been active on the blog or on Twitter much lately, but I’m all too aware of the panic a lot of fans have been feeling because of the team’s slow start. I’ve been doing my best to talk sense into as many people as possible. “The Giants started 2-8 last year and won the World Series,” I say.
But right now, I feel the panic. It’s ridiculous, especially since there’s no real word on what’s wrong with Reyes, but this could hurt. Losing Reyes for three months could be a lot worse than a slow start. And seeing him cry? That’s worst of all.
Here’s hoping it’s not that bad.